The Best of GRReporter
flag_bg flag_gr flag_gb

Archive - Jan 2011

January 26th

Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines merger will not happen

26 January 2011 / 13:01:25  
"No!" to the "marriage" of Olympic Air with Aegean Airlines announced the European Commission. The companies together hold about 95% of the airlines serviced in the country and the merger proposal is not to the consumers' benefit, according to the Commissioner for competition Joaquin Almunia.

"Dogtooth" in the race for Oscars

26 January 2011 / 12:01:28  
Yorgos Lanthimos’ "Dogtooth" is an Oscar nomination in the foreign films category. The last time a Greek film raced to the Oscars was back in 1977 when "Ifigeniya" directed by Michalis Kakoyiannis was nominated. This year's awards ceremony will be held in Los Angeles on 27 February when we will keep our fingers crossed for Lanthimos to reach the finals and receive the golden statuette.

The trial against Kenteris, Thanou and Tsekos started after seven years of delay

26 January 2011 / 11:01:35  
The trial against the sprinters Kostas Kenteris and Ekaterina Thanou and their coach Christos Tsekos finally has begun last Friday after seven years, seven continuances and one break.

January 25th

Greece wants to sue Siemens for bribes

25 January 2011 / 18:01:04  
The State Minister Haris Pampoukis sent a letter to the Executive Director of Siemens Hellas Panagiotis Ksinis to inform him that Greece intends to bring to trial the German giant for illegal activities of the company.

Illegal immigrants occupied the Athens Law School

25 January 2011 / 17:01:27  
They made it a camp and went on hunger strike. University buildings in Greece are inviolable; the police can not intervene without a formal request from the university authorities. They have only suspended academic activities for now until further notice.

Pharmacists adamant against increasing the number of pharmacies and do not want chains of global companies

25 January 2011 / 11:01:25  
Medicines were only 7% of the health care costs of the government but the had not seen the Minister to slave away for the remaining 93% which he lacks.

January 24th

Crimes close hotels in Athens

24 January 2011 / 21:01:50  
Drugs and petty dealers, pimps, prostitutes and groups of illegal languish immigrants rule today on Omonia Square which has become a ghetto and where there are thefts and robberies every day.