The Best of GRReporter
flag_bg flag_gr flag_gb

SYRIZA increases its lead over New Democracy

22 January 2014 / 13:01:00  GRReporter
1729 reads

The ranking of the parties according to their influence among voters is as follows: SYRIZA - 31.5%, New Democracy - 28%, Golden Dawn - 10%, PASOK - 6.5%, the Greek Communist Party - 6.5%, Independent Greeks - 4.5%, Democratic Left - 3.5% and other parties - 9.5%.

To the question "Regardless of your political beliefs, which party do you think would win, assuming that elections were held tomorrow?" the respondents answer the following:

- New Democracy by a narrow margin - 3%

- SYRIZA by a narrow margin - 17%

- New Democracy with a small lead - 32%

- SYRIZA with a small lead - 35%

- Neither of the parties/No opinion - 13%

In terms of "the most suitable for Prime Minister", Antonis Samaras continues to lead with 39% against SYRIZA leader Alexis Tsipras with 30% whereas 29% of respondents reply that none of them is suitable for this post.

At the same time, sources familiar with the situation claim that the real lead of SYRIZA against New Democracy is double-digit. The results of these polls, however, are not made public due to a tacit agreement between the polling agencies.

The confrontation between the two parties is growing every day. The new round of mutual attacks that started on Tuesday was initiated by SYRIZA deputy George Statakis and his statements relating to the Greek national debt.

In an interview for Sto Kokino Radio, he said that only 5% of the debt could be defined as "burdensome" whereas the remaining 95% should be paid in compliance with international rules.

His words had negatively surprised the majority of his party colleagues and especially those of them who argue that it is necessary to establish which part of the debt is "illegal, burdensome and unacceptable."

SYRIZA leader Alexis Tsipras and deputy George Statakis

"Over 90% of the debt is traditional debt created by the bonds issued. There is no legal procedure to disprove it," he said. According to him, only about 5% of the total debt, which is related to weapons programmes and other projects that have never been realized, could be perceived as burdensome.

Government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou caustically commented on the statements made by George Statakis, "Mr. Statakis mocks either the Greek people or SYRIZA. We expect them to clarify their position and to tell us whether their programme is valid, namely whether they will eventually and unilaterally write off most of the debt or only 5% of it."

In response SYRIZA indicated, "Our goal is to write off most of the debt, whether it will be defined as "burdensome" or not, and pay the rest, implementing, at the same time, measures for economic growth."

The position of George Statakis contradicts that of the more left wing of SYRIZA, which is of the opinion that the Greek debt should be written off immediately and unconditionally, because the greater part of it is illegal and burdensome."

 

Tags: PoliticsPollSYRIZANew DemocracyGeorge StatakisNational debtPolitical confrontaion
SUPPORT US!
GRReporter’s content is brought to you for free 7 days a week by a team of highly professional journalists, translators, photographers, operators, software developers, designers. If you like and follow our work, consider whether you could support us financially with an amount at your choice.
Subscription
You can support us only once as well.
blog comments powered by Disqus