The Ministry of Internal Affairs is preparing five plus one big changes, which will clear up the criteria for signing labor contracts in the public sector in Greece. This is the ambition of the new minister Yannis Rangousis and his team and as a starting date of the change they have set December 1.
The minister of internal affairs decided to freeze labor contracts in the public sector (ministries, organizations, etc), which will also apply to positions announced since October 4 and not only to the ones announced by December 1, 2009. The goal is to prepare a new law in November, which will balance the criteria and will to more just than the previous one, because it will recognize criteria like internship, university diplomas and social criteria.
It has been determined that the role of diplomas when choosing a candidate for a job position, is insignificant, said minister Rangousis, who also stressed that his team will also review and discuss in depth the social criteria. For example, until now a PhD candidate was receiving only 300 points for the fact he earned a doctorate degree and an employee with 5 year working experience receives 452 points.
The main changes, which will be applied to the new law for labor contracts are:
- Interview with candidates for jobs in the public sector will be cancelled. Interviews will be done only for job positions in the science field or in special categories.
- The rule that part time employees and trainees receive 50% plus as an internship, which was supposed to be active until December 31, 2010, is now cancelled. According to the new system internships will be calculated the same way in both the public and private sectors.
- All contracts for a certain jobs/projects are forbidden. This type of contracts for positions, which need seasonal workers or other temporary job, are replaced with labor contracts for a certain period of time, which usually does not exceed eight months.
- Giving an additional percentage for internship for special category candidates like families with many children and repatriation is cancelled. Until now candidates with many children were receiving 20% in every competition, candidates with 3 children – 10%, and repatriation – 5%. From now on those candidates will receive bonus points but no special places will be reserved for them.
- Candidates who have a Masters and a Doctorate degree and who know more foreign languages will receive more points. The goal of the new point system is to bring people to the public sector, who had graduated university and have more qualities, so that the face of public administration can be changed.
- All candidates for a job in the public sector will go through the Higher Council for Staff Selection. Among HCSS’s obligations will be choosing and hiring part time employees with labor contracts for a certain period of time.
On the other hand people working on internship programs protested yesterday in front of the parliament. They demanded to be hired full time, because on November 12 many of their contracts will end. More than 30 000 people have been hire dint he public sector under this program and more than 15 000 are with part time contracts. If the protests continue, problems will be felt in the public services, insurance funds, hospitals and in municipal sectors.