Two people were found dead in the Athenian luxury hotel “Nefeli” in the Thessaloniki prestigious neighborhood “Panorama.” The men of age 27 and 28 years passed away in their sleep in two separate hotel rooms located one above the other. The first accident took place around midnight on Wednesday. The autopsy results indicated that the caue of death was CO (Carbon Monoxide) inhale. The police sent expert at the location whose conclusion stated that there is no need to evacuate the hotel. Friday morning, however, another victim was discovered- 28 years old man from Karditza. His autopsy showed CO poisoning as well, and blood tests reveal around 70-80% concentration of the gas in both men. The results from the second examination ordered after the death of the second man are still expected.
It is known that since 2005 the hotel is using gas for the heater and water heaters. No maintenance of the installation has taken place since then, and according to the owner of the hotel, he was assured by the company that performed the installation that such maintenance was not needed. According to the Director of Thessaloniki Police Dimitris Papadopoulos, the last registered inspection of the hotel by the Greek Tourism Organisation is from November 2008. Asked if the hotel will be closed down, the police director said that this decision will be taken by the organization mentioned. The hotel owner was charged of manslaughter and accidental physical injury. The second indictment is in regard of a complaint by a woman staying in the same hotel who felt dizzy and lost consciousness. According to the information received from legal sources, the report submitted to the prosecution was incomplete and therefore returned to the Head Police Office of Panorama until the expert conclusions are received and the forensic experts’ reports are submitted.