The Best of GRReporter
flag_bg flag_gr flag_gb

The Greeks work mainly in the public sector, trade and defence

04 September 2014 / 11:09:42  GRReporter
2095 reads

The majority of the foreigners who live in Greece and participated in the 2011 census conducted by the Greek Statistical Office (ELSTAT) declared that they worked as low-skilled workers, small artisans or were engaged in heavy physical work. The majority of the Greeks were employed in the field of trade (retail and wholesale) as well as in the public administration and defence.

At the European Union level, based on the percentage rate of employed persons by economic sectors, Greece ranked first in the field of "Wholesale and retail, transport, storage, shelter and food" with 30.5% and last in the field of "Real estate management" with 0.2%. At the same time, despite everything that has been written over the years, the leading position in the field of "Public administration, defence, education, public health and social care" was held not by Greece but by Denmark, its rate being 33%.

An interesting fact is that, at the national level, the Epirus region had the highest percentage of pensioners of the total permanent population (27.9%) whereas the South Aegean region the lowest percentage of pensioners (18.5%).

In particular, the economic characteristics of the permanent population of the country published by ELSTAT yesterday indicate the following:

In 2011, the economically active population of Greece consisted of 4,586,636 people (or 42.4% of the permanent population) and the economically inactive population of 6,229,650 people (or 57.6% of the permanent population).

3,727,633 people of the total economically active population said they had a job and 859,003 people were unemployed. The majority of the economically active population were men, 59%, the rest being women, 41%.

46.2% of the employed were in the 30-44 age group followed by 36.2% in the 45-64 age group. The average number of employed persons per household was 0.9.

In couples (married or cohabiting) with at least one child aged under the age of 18, 52.4% of the mothers were working and the percentage of working fathers was 84.9%. Regarding the single mothers with at least one child under the age of 18, 61.2% of them were working while the percentage of working single fathers with at least one child aged under 18 years was 74.9%.

In the Peloponnese region, the sector of "Agriculture, forestry and fishing" reported the highest rate of employed (25.6%) of the total number of employees whereas in the South Aegean region the highest percentage of employees (23.9%) was recorded in the sector "Provision of shelter and food services."

10.5% of the total number of employed (or 391,398 people) were foreign citizens (including people with unspecified citizenship or without citizenship).

The data analysis also shows that the majority of the employees with Greek citizenship, 18.2%, were employed in the field of "Wholesale and retail - repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles", followed by 10.7 % who were employed in the "Public administration and defence." The majority of the employees of foreign nationality, 18.8%, were employed in the field of "Construction" followed by 18.2% who worked in the field of "Agriculture, forestry and fishing." Of all the employees who declared that they were low-skilled workers, small artisans or engaged in heavy physical work, 59.1% were Greeks and 40.9% were foreign nationals.

The majority of the total number of employees, 30.8%, had secondary education (general, vocational, religious, etc.). As for the place of work, the majority of the employees, or 61.7%, worked in the municipality of permanent residence.

Tags: Greek Statistical OfficeELSTATworkersforeign citizensemployees
SUPPORT US!
GRReporter’s content is brought to you for free 7 days a week by a team of highly professional journalists, translators, photographers, operators, software developers, designers. If you like and follow our work, consider whether you could support us financially with an amount at your choice.
Subscription
You can support us only once as well.
blog comments powered by Disqus